Monday, May 28, 2012

Family Camp

I had a wonderful weekend working family camp with my mother. She had never been up to camp for more than a pick up or a drop off and it was really nice to be able to spend some more time with her in my second home in the States. We worked a lot of activities together and she quickly found her footing and made tons of friends. I am not surprised. I get my outgoing nature from her. Her family that she was assigned to also took her in and really enjoyed her company (and vice versa). My family was really nice too.

My favorite part of family camp was the weather and baby-sitting the little kiddies during one activity. It was sand castle building but I ended up just watching as they all happily played in the sand. One of the boys found my legs as a way to warm up from the cold water. He was also a talker. I loved it. :)

It has been so great being back at camp but I am definitely feeling the lack of sleep already. I forgot how little sleep we get. In reality if we go to bed at 12am and sleep right away we get 8 hours but it never really feels like enough. I am constantly on my feet here and I am constantly running around and planning or executing something so I am super tired at the end of the day. I have extra things I need to account for this summer too like being able to call my boyfriend and making sure I have everything set up for the following day with training.

Tonight we talked about what we are excited for and what we are nervous about. I said that I am excited to be in the role that I am this year as a facilitator and a peer that my co-staff looks up to. On the other hand I am also nervous about walking the line between leader and friend. I want to make sure they get the most out of training and that means I have to have some authority but I also want to be able to talk and make them feel comfortable enough to talk with me and open up. I also want all and any questions they have. The more the better. Seemingly stupid small questions before trips can go a long way!

I am off to bed so I can rock tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment