Friday, May 18, 2012

Cookies, Violin Graduation Recital and Packing

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of putting on my first Suzuki violin graduation recital with Suzanne. We had 10 students graduate in total with 7 from book 1, 1 from book 2, and 2 from book 3. Although I wasn't with my students from the very beginning, I definitely have a strong affection for them all and we also put in a lot of work together to finish the books. Suzanne and I made cookies for everyone too! I will put the recipe up here at some point.

Getting up in front of a lot of people and playing solos is NOT easy. I am super proud of all of the students for playing very well and not letting nerves get to them! I still get so nervous when I play in front of people. For some reason I never get nervous when it comes to singing but when it comes to playing my violin, I start shaking. It's super crazy and I admit that I am still working on my stage presence as an adult. I think part of the resolution is more practice so that it is so second nature to play the piece that I have no trouble. I am also working hard on my sight reading skills. I would eventually like to play in an orchestra when I am in Lima and wherever else I may end up living through out the next 5-10 years.

In other news, I leave for the States in 2 days (Lima tomorrow) and I am almost completely packed. Somehow, my bag is completely full even though I am not bringing that much with me. The duffel bag I have to bring back is definitely taking up a decent amount of space and I have a few books and gifts and things for people. Hopefully, I will be able to bring back some summer clothes. I only packed a few sun dresses, two shirts, a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans and then all my trip clothing. It's not too heavy though and that's the most important thing.

My Wednesday was jam packed including 2 hours of theory, 5 hours of lessons, band practice, meeting with parents and my replacement for June and then singing at Frogs. Thursday felt even crazier. We picked up Marco's mom from the airport nice and early and then I had to run some errands. I made lunch (caldo de gallina) for Marco and his mother and then I had 5 and a half hours of classes to teach. Thank goodness I got paid last night though! This morning Marco and I went to get a very decent amount of money changed. It will be nice to finally pay back my dad for my flight and still have some money to buy things I need from the States.


Here are some pictures of the concert! I am making a video with one song from each of the students. Hopefully I can get that up next week. :)

 Everyone!!

 Me and my student Lucia

 Sam graduated from book 1 and Rafael from book 3

                                                                Happy teachers!


No comments:

Post a Comment