Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Week Completed!

Week one is over! I made it and while I was absolutely exhausted on Friday night I had a moment in class when everything felt right. I really like teaching. I had a feeling I would. I definitely had my share of misshaps. I accidentally taught possessive pronouns as my, your, his, her, its, etc. when really they are possessive adjectives. Possessive pronouns are mine, yours, ours, etc. Easily remedies though. I will just make sure to fix the error on Monday so that everyone has the words classified correctly. If they messed that up on the final exam it would certainly be my fault.

In other news I found an apartment and I moved in yesterday (Saturday). It is 4 blocks from the Plaza de Armas on calle Zaphi. I found it through a co-worker who just moved in as well. I had to move out of the Family House by Saturday so I was very happy to find this place for such a decent price. It’s S/. 427 a month which works out to roughly $150 a month and it includes utilities and cable. I don’t have internet but that’s OK. If I need to use internet for some reason I can always run down the street to an internet cafĂ©. I am just so happy to be able to unpack and make this place my home for at least the next 2 months. I haven’t decided yet if I am going to stay longer. It depends if something better came up. I really can’t beat the location though. It’s only a 15 minute walk to work and if I ever go out at night I don’t have to worry about needing to take a taxi home. The only things it doesn’t have going for it is that the walls are not soundproof at all, but that is typical in Peruvian houses. It would be great to have gas heated water too but electric is better than nothing. At least there is heat of some sort right?

I was a little sad to say good-bye to the Family House since there is always someone there to talk to and hang out with if I wanted. They are just around the corner though and most of them are still around for another couple months. We had fun going out a few times.

I went shopping yesterday for food and unfortunately on my way back someone swiped my phone. I should’ve known better because the phone was in my pocket and the pocket was unzipped. Honestly I am happy they took the phone and not my wallet or keys. Those are a lot more valuable to me than a phone. It was easily replaced and not expensive so it’s all good. It was a good reality check though. I might have been getting a little too comfortable since I feel safer here than in Quito. I learned my lesson. I won’t let that happen again.

I am expecting to be making a decent amount of rice and beans as well as spaghetti. I bought the basic breakfast, lunch and dinner food. ! I made a rice, tuna and onion mix for dinner last night and it was delicious! It is so nice to have my own kitchen.

Today I am planning on getting a decent amount of lesson planning done for this week. My goal is to at least have Mon-Wednesday planned for all my classes by the end of today. I also am looking to find some hangers and maybe a lamp at some point as well. I definitely need hangers since the dresser I have has only 3 shelves and a place for hangers. Guess I have to live out of my luggage for just a little longer.

Other than that, things are good! I am looking forward to working a full week and seeing how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment