Friday, January 4, 2013

Good-bye Kindle

In some poopy news today, my kindle was stolen while I was on the bus yesterday evening. Pickpocketing is so easily avoidable and yet I somehow keep letting myself be open to stupid loss. I had my bad behind me instead of in front of me. I was carrying a bag of groceries and my umbrella so I was taking up a lot of space. Anyway, two guys went by me and I felt one grab at my bag but I didn't think too much of of it since I forgot I had my kindle in there. I knew I had me laptop but it is giant and heavy and inside my bag so it would have been really hard to steal. My kindle, being in the front pocket and the main flap of my messenger bag was not securely closed. My bad!!!! But seriously, what a dummy. I didn't realize it was gone until after I got home. There was even a girl who was sitting in front of me who said that I needed to be careful with my stuff because the guy who passed me went through it. I told her I didn't have anything of value in my bag..wrong! I didn't think to look through my bag even after that. Probably for the better since I didn't have to deal with being on the bus for the rest of the ride kicking myself. I got to kick myself when I got home!

To give a happy side to this entry, I did get the most excellent service from a man named Rais Ibrahim from Amazon.com's customer service. I deregistered my kindle and the got into a chat with this fine gentleman who blacklisted my kindle with one click and told me I could access my books via a kindle application for my computer if I wanted to read my books while waiting for a new kindle. Fantastic! I was super happy. He made my night much better. The downside to the app is that I can't download it on my computer since I don't have the latest Mac OS program. Booo. I wonder if there is a way to get an older version of the reader. I just downloaded Proof of Heaven by Dr. Eben Alexander and I really would like to read it. In the meantime, I have a few old school paper books that I could read. Fancy that!

Marco is going to get up super early tomorrow morning and check out the baratillo which is Cusco's black market. People say that if something was stolen and it was electronic, many times it will show up nice and early at the baratillo. You have to go early though because things go quickly. Marco is going to search for my kindle! What a man! He even offered to pay for half the new kindle if he doesn't find it. That is super sweet of him consider it was my dumbass that left it open for someone to steal. Just one of the millions of reasons I love him. I am not going to get my hopes up. If he does, by chance, find it, he is going to bargain with the person who is selling it. He will show that he has the serial number of the kindle and say he will pay no more than 50 soles for it. If they don't give it to him for that he will denounce the vendor and turn him or her in to the police to be charged with stealing. Wish him luck!

In other fun news, we are definitely moving to Lima on Monday! I am so excited! I can't wait to get to the nice warm weather. However, I can't complain about today's weather since it was nice and sunny and warm. Cusco summer and winter really aren't that bad. There is always some sun no matter what. I will definitely be making a trip back to Cusco to visit when there is nothing but gray skies in Lima and I am getting super depressed. I am going to be singing tonight at Monasterio and Marriott and tomorrow as well so I am getting the most out of my last days in Cusco by working some gigs! Can't complain about a little bit of extra cash for our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment