Sunday, November 20, 2011

Happy Belated Halloween!

Sorry I am so late about posting on Halloween. I took part in a Halloween Circus Show with the Clusterfunks similar to what we did in July and August except with a creepy fun Halloween theme! It took place at Groove Club and while the Saturday night performance didn’t have too many attendees, the actual Halloween show on Monday night was a hit and went over super well!

I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of it all and it was a great way to spend Halloween weekend. I also got to play around with fun make-up and wear a hot dress from Hilo, a boutique owned by an Irish woman named Eibhlin. Definitely check out the photos on facebook!

I didn’t play as much violin in this show as I did in the last one but I did play a tango that was fun! I love working with all the people in the show and I really liked getting to hang out with Niki and Elizabeth more. Elizabeth is getting married in August in Easter Island and I am going to do everything I can to save up enough money to be able to go. What a great reason to go to Easter Island and Chile!

One thing I never knew about Halloween in Cusco is that it is INSANE in the plaza. It’s almost as crazy as New Year’s Eve but with a lot more children and no fireworks. Seriously, it’s packed! Instead of trick or treating door to door the kids and their parents, many with no idea of what cordial means, ask for candy from the surrounding businesses. Also, instead of trick or treat they yell “Halloween, Halloween!” and hold out their candy bags. I will say that the candy bags are super tiny and I didn’t see a single kid carrying around pillow case full of candy. It should also be said that the candy that is given out is not snickers or kit kats, but super cheap tiny hard candies and bubblegum for the most part. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups costs almost 6 soles here, which is over 2 dollars for two tasty treats. People aren’t going to spend crazy amounts of money on candy like they will in the States. Granted, snickers and Reese’s are cheaper in the States because they aren’t imported like they are in Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment