Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rafting!

This weekend was a blast! I went rafting on Saturday with a student who is a rafting guide. I wanted to take my camera with me on the boat but I decided against it since we were going to go through class IV rapids. It ended up being a good decision because I definitely would've lost it at one point. Class 4 rapids are no joke and and super freakin fun! At one point I jumped out of the raft when it was calmer and took a little float down the river myself. Chuquicahuna was the name of the 12 km section we went down. It is part of the Urubamba (aka Vilcanota) River. I ended up in the one Spanish speaking boat with 3 hilarious Argentinan guys and a couple that was very nice. Franco, one of the Argentines, thought it was funny to knock everyone's helmets. It definitely proved they were functioning. At one point we did this thing they like to call surfing where we paddled right into a mini water fall and put all our weight at the front so the boat would pop out of the water in the back and be pushed backward. Needless to to say, we all go soaked and were absolutely frozen by the end of the run. Fortunately, my icy fingers and toes were warmed up first in a suana and then a hot shower. It was such a fun day!

On the other hand I think I may have caused myself to get sicker than I was by going on the rafting trip. That night I went to bed at 5pm and didn't get up until the next day. It's only a cold but today I have no voice and a slight cough has started. Thank goodness I was able to get through performing last night. I was right on the verge of losing my voice and singing last night put me over the edge. Needless to say I couldn't teach this morning so instead, I worked in the office. I am really glad I performed last night. It was a new place called Kamikase and it is much bigger than Kilometer Zero where we were playing the last few months. They also have a much better sound system so people can actually hear our voices when we sing. I have a meeting with the music guy on Thursday evening to discuss playing on a weekly basis like we did at KM0. I also want to talk to the KM0 lady again to see if we can't set up a weekly thing again with them. I wouldn't mind having two gigs a week. Although getting up in the morning is somewhat of a hastle after staying out til 12:30 or 1am, I think I can handle one month of it.

Speaking of only one month, I am almost done with my time at Maximo and I am pumped for what's ahead. I have a few ideas in mind, one of which is teaching part time in the afternoon at Excel. I am definitely moving into Yamanya at the beginning of March and working for my stay there which is 4 hours a day six days a week. I am also going to work in advertising for Micheal (my band mates). He has a tourist newspaper he publishes and he makes his money from advertising. I would get 20% of whatever I sell. Not bad! All I have to do is look nice and schmooze with the business owners. I think I can handle that.

Well, that's all for now! Exams and quizzes are next week so I am gearing all my students up with study guides now. I love exam days because I usually get a book finished.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so jealous of your rafting trip! that sounds amazing! miss you lady

    ReplyDelete