Sunday, August 29, 2010

Time to become a Cusqueña

I have moved into the Maximo Nivel family house for the next five days should I need it. It is free lodging and food while I look for an apartment. I went to Maximo Nivel yesterday thinking I had a meeting to attend. They showed me around and that was it. It was nice to see the place though and the teacher’s lounge is fantastic. There is a big screen TV, computers, wi-fi, personal cubbies and a cubbies for shoes. It did also make me more nervous though. I got my schedule and it says that I am teaching 6 classes starting on Wednesday. They are different levels too. When Tom and I spoke last it was set that I was going to work in the academic office and be a floater and substitute as needed for the first few weeks or so. I also though I was going to have time to do more observations. I don't even know the book that we use and where I need to begin with my students who are at higher levels. Let the stress begin. Enthusiasm and patience are the two things that I have going for me. I'll just have to figure things out as I go.

While I was in the teacher's lounge I met Carl and he offered a room in his place that is open. I would be very happy moving into a place with 3 other teachers and only a 20 minute walk from work. He has been working for Maximo Nivel for 8 months and likes it. I spent some time uploading photos and got in contact with Leslie Eme who was in Cusco on vacation. We met up and got some food. I took her back to my place for a bit while I packed and then we headed to Jack’s café for some coffee and dessert. I love the fact that we keep meeting up with each other in South American and other places in our lives. She is definitely one of my favorite persons of all time.

I really like this Family house. My room is super tiny but the amenities are great. There is wi-fi and laundry services. I met a few people who are here volunteering or taking the TEFL course at Maximo Nivel. I hope to move into an apartment within the next few days though. There is an all teachers meeting on Tuesday so I should be able to work something out with Carl and his roomies if possible.

I think I am going to take a nap now to make up for the lack of sleep over the last 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment